Friday, August 14, 2009

Ditch your Cable for a different Cable!!

I thought I would post about a major way that we've been saving money lately around the house. I don't like "sacrificing" but I definitely don't mind making adjustments to save some cash!
About a year ago, we ditched Cable TV. There are a lot of shows out there that I'm slightly addicted to. Secret Life of the American Teenager (I was pregnant in highschool.... so this is a guilty pleasure. I know, lame!), The City, The Hills, 16 and Pregnant, Smallville, etc. Regardless of how lame my favorite shows are (and I know.... they are really lame!!! lol), we still don't watch via cable. Instead, we have connected our tv to our computer so we can "stream" our favorite shows the day after it aired. It's a small way that we save approximately $80 a month. ($80*12= $960.... so that's nearly $1,000 a year in savings!) It's actually quite simple to do.... you just need a cable (we use VGA-double female and it works wonderfully)! Here is a link to Cables for Less, which is a great site that has cables at a decent price. Most stores are WAY overpriced!
We have netflix instead of watching every movie at the theatre. We get 3 movies a time and pay around $20 a month for this service. We rent a lot of the movies that are "new releases" and watch the oldies online. Netflix has a huge gallery of movies and shows online that you can access from any computer as long as you have an account. Here are a few that we are digging right now: Stepbrothers, Tortilla Soup, Sleepless in Seattle, Casablanca, Made of Honor, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas and WordWorld, Chitty Chitty Bang Ban, Dora, Blues Clues & Land Before Time for the little man. the list goes on... for the movies we really do want to see on the big screen, we go to the cheap theatre that plays movies that have been out for a while. $2 instead of $9 per person! Not so shabby, ey?! I've also heard good things about Red Box but we haven't ventured there yet. So tell me, how do you save on entertainment? And while your at it, if you have enjoyed reading some things on my new blog... introduce yourself & tell me what else you'd like to hear! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment